GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Phoenix spoils Romeo’s return, keeps quarterfinal hopes alive MOST READ “When you feel like you’re on the @pgatour so you gotta get some wings going in the hotel room,” Curry said in Instagram post. Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Most of the time Stephen Curry hits threes, other times he hits the hotel glass table.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkThe Golden State star guard on Thursday posted a photo of shattered glass all over his hotel room, which was a result of an accident while he was working on his golf swing.ADVERTISEMENT Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer The Warriors were were in Washington, where they took selected kids to an African-American history museum in lieu of the usual White House visit and defeated the Wizards, 109-101, last Thursday.Curry is an avid golfer and has played against pros.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson View comments
More Than Me (MTM), an American non-governmental organization (NGO), has acquired a brand new ambulance for use in the fight to contain the deadly Ebola virus disease (EVD).Last week it also donated anti-Ebola items to several communities in and around Monrovia as part of the fight against the outbreak.The donations to six communities including the slum area of West Point is part of MTM’s effort to identify with the residents that are affected by the EVD.MTM says it is on a mission to make sure education and opportunity, not exploitation and poverty, define the lives of the most vulnerable people, especially the future leaders of Liberia.Ms. Krubo Kowah, a social worker at the MTM, on behalf of the founder of the NGO, Madam Katie Meyler, told the beneficiaries that the items presented are to be used in the fight against EVD.Items delivered to residents of the various communities were personal protective equipment (PPE) as well as buckets, Clorox, soaps, food stuffs and other household supplies.Representatives of the communities receiving the items thanked MTM for its support.They also thanked the founder of the organization, Madam Meyler, for the ‘huge’ humanitarian assistance delivered to them.Since Ebola was confirmed in West Point in August 2014, the MTM has partnered with the Ministry of Health (MOH), and others working to break the spread of the virus in the country.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
WHEN it comes to government, two things that no one ever wants to hear together are “secrecy” and “death.” So it should come as no surprise that the Schwarzenegger administration’s secretive construction of a new execution chamber at San Quentin State Prison would provoke such outrage that officials have been forced to stop work after spending $725,000. What were they thinking? The execution-chamber project was launched in January as a response to a federal court ruling that slammed the state’s execution method. But the new room was never made public, and legislators didn’t know about it until they stumbled on the new construction last week during a tour. Shoot now, ask questions later might be a staple of movie heroes, but it’s no way to conduct public policy. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
12 12 Arsenal eased to a 3-0 victory over Manchester City in the Community Shield at Wembley to claim the first trophy of the new season.Goals from Santi Cazorla, Aaron Ramsey and Olivier Giroud downed the Premier League champions, and made it another day to remember for Gunners fans following on from their FA Cup final victory at the same venue just a few months ago.Click the arrow for highlights of Arsenal’s Community Shield victory over Manchester City 12 Arsenal fans do the famous ‘Poznan’ celebration to rub salt into City’s wounds 12 Arsenal new boy Alexis Sanchez in action Substitute Olivier Giroud curls home a stunning third goal for Arsenal 12 Arsenal and Manchester City line-up ahead of the Community Shield 12 12 Aaron Ramsey makes it 2-0 to Arsenal Santi Cazorla opens the scoring for Arsenal at Wembley 12 12 Ramsey celebrates his strike with his Arsenal teammates Cazorla looks on as his strike finds its way past Willy Caballero Cazorla celebrates his goal against Manchester City 12 12 12 And Giroud celebrates his goal with the Arsenal fans Santi Cazorla, Mikel Arteta and Alexis Sanchez pose with the trophy after Arsenal’s Community Shield win against Manchester City Arsenal captain Mikel Arteta lifts the Community Shield
1 The FA Cup third round draw is one of the great events in the football calender – and you can follow it all live right here.This is, of course, the stage when the Premier League big boys enter the competition, and the stage when heroes are made.So who will your team get? Find out right here… Live Video – FA Cup third round draw
Donegal Senator Jimmy Harte has welcomed the “excellent work” done by Deputy Michael McCarthy to legislate for people with autism and their families.The Letterkenny Senator says the work represents a significant first step towards the establishment of a national approach to autism, which affects so many families in Donegal and throughout the country.“It is significant that the Bill was introduced by Deputy MC Carthy who as a backbencher has shown that an important piece of legislation can be introduced by TD’s and Senators which can have a major impact in society. “The cross-Party support for this Bill, as demonstrated on the floor of the Dáil chamber today, was heartening and reflects how this issue has affected so many families across the country. As Deputy McCarthy has stated, this is an historic day for people with autism and marks a first step in making autism a national priority.“The Bill, when enacted, seeks to place a statutory duty on the Government to publish a national strategy within two years of its enactment. This will ensure that Governments will be obliged to meet the needs of people with autism spectrum disorder, and support them in order that they can reach their full potential.“It was important that Minister for Health, James Reilly supported strongly Deputy McCarthy’s Bill and I look forward to the rights of adults with autism being vindicated,” he said. HARTE WELCOMES WORK ON AUTISM LEGISLATION was last modified: March 9th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:autismSenator Jimmy Harte
2. Wood, Ben/Philips, Bayo (DU) def. #54 Haru Inoue/Miroslav Herzan (WSU) 7-5 Doubles competition The Bulldogs will play their final non-conference match of the season on Wednesday, April 13 when they travel to Nebraska. DES MOINES, Iowa. – The 46th-ranked Drake University men’s tennis team cruised past Wichita State, 4-1, on Saturday at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center, and extended the Bulldogs’ Missouri Valley Conference winning streak to 23 matches.The Bulldogs jumped out to a 1-0 lead as they took the doubles point. Sophomores Calum MacGeoch and Ben Stride defeated Sergio de Vilchez and Eddie Stoica, 6-2 at No. 3, while classmates Bayo Philips and Ben Wood clinched the point with a 7-5 victory over 54th-ranked Haru Inoue and Miroslav Herzan at No. 2. Singles competition 6. Hands, Tom (DU) def. Austin Williams (WSU) 6-2, 7-5 4. Eddie Stoica (WSU) def. Philips, Bayo (DU) 6-2, 6-3 3. MacGeoch, Calum/Stride, Ben (DU) def. Sergio de Vilchez/Eddie Stoica (WSU) 6-2 #46 Drake 4, Wichita State 1Apr 09, 2016 at Print Friendly Version Senior Ben Lott put Drake up 2-0 with a solid 6-3, 6-4 win over Herzan at the No. 1 spot. The Shockers earned their only point of the match with a win at No. 4. Freshman Tom Hands broke Austin Williams to secure the 6-2, 7-5 victory at No. 6, putting Drake up 3-1. Freshman Vinny Gillespie sealed the match with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Jocelyn Devilliers at No. 2. Match Notes 1. Lott, Ben/Gillespie, Vinny (DU) vs. Jocelyn Devilliers/Austin Williams (WSU) 5-6, unfinished Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,4,6,2) 5. Stride, Ben (DU) vs. Sergio de Vilchez (WSU) 7-5, 2-2, unfinished 1. Lott, Ben (DU) def. Miroslav Herzan (WSU) 6-3, 6-4 3. MacGeoch, Calum (DU) vs. Haru Inoue (WSU) 6-3, 5-4, unfinished 2. Gillespie, Vinny (DU) def. Jocelyn Devilliers (WSU) 7-6, 6-4
John Downey has been remanded in custody charged with the murders of two UDR soldiers, after being extradited from the Republic of Ireland.The 67 year old Creeslough man appeared before Omagh Magistrates Court on Saturday. Downey was first detained in the Republic of Ireland in October 2018 under a European arrest warrant.He fought extradition but lost his most recent appeal, and handed himself in to Gardaí (Irish police) on Friday.Downey is wanted by prosecutors in connection with the murders of UDR soldiers Alfred Johnston, 32 and a father of four, and James Eames 33, a father of three.Both were killed in a bomb attack in Enniskillen in 1972.Mr Downey is also accused of aiding and abetting an explosion.The BBC reports that a crowd of supporters, including Sinn Fein representatives, gathered outside the court ahead of the hearing.A Detective Chief Inspector told the court police would be objecting to bail as they viewed Mr Downey as a flight risk.He pointed to the defendant’s repeated attempts to appeal the extradition order.“The police view would be the defendant is reluctant to face justice,” he said.In 2013, Mr Downey was charged with murdering four Royal Household Cavalry men in a bombing at London’s Hyde Park in 1982.The case dramatically collapsed after it emerged the defendant had a letter of assurance from the former Prime Minister Tony Blair that he was not actively wanted by the authorities.In court on Saturday, the Detective Chief Inspector said that following the collapse of the Hyde Park bombing trial in 2014, the families of those killed in the incident had launched civil proceedings against Mr Downey.He told the court that Mr Downey subsequently transferred assets including land from his name to his wife’s name.A solicitor acting for the defendant said his client had handed himself in to Gardaí by agreement and had fully complied with previous bail conditions in 2013 and 2014.He described the land transfers as a “red herring”, and said his client was a man of ill health.Judge Michael Ranaghan said he envisaged a “long and protracted” legal process ahead.But said he found the defendant did pose a flight risk and so bail was refused.The judge told Mr Downey he can appeal his decision to the High Court, before ordering him to appear again in court on the 25 October.John Downey remanded in custody after extradition was last modified: October 12th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CreesloughdonegalJohn Downey
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Thursday hit out at former Deputy Chief Minister and SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal, accusing him of trying to drag the “innocent Gandhi family” into the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.Capt. Amarinder said Mr. Badal was by his recent remarks on Gandhi family attempting to undermine Rahul Gandhi’s leadership, under whom the Congress has recently won Assembly elections in three major States.‘Move will backfire’“Misusing religion for political gains will not yield any dividends for the SAD and would backfire on the party in the Lok Sabha elections, as it had done in the 2017 Assembly polls,” said Capt. Amarinder, adding that Mr. Badal should stop politicising such a sensitive issue.The Chief Minister said that while individuals who had any role to play in mayhem against the Sikh community deserved to be punished, it was irrational to try and drag the Congress party as a whole, or the Gandhis, into the case.“It was up to the judiciary, however, to nail and award punishment to the culprits, and neither Mr. Badal nor any other Akali or BJP leader had any locus standi in the matter,” said Capt. Amarinder, asking the SAD president to stop trying to take political mileage out of the issue.He hailed the High Court for sentencing former Congress leader Sajjan Kumar to life term, and expressed confidence that others guilty of the heinous crime will also be “paid back in the same coin”.Reacting to the court verdict convicting Sajjan Kumar, SAD chief Badal had said the Congress’s hand in the “massacre” of innocent Sikhs in the 1984 “genocide” had been proven beyond doubt with the Delhi High Court convicting (former) senior Congress leader and Gandhi family’s “right hand man” in the anti-Sikh riots case.(With PTI inputs)
The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Friday gave Kolkata’s cricket fans some hope when it announced a reinspection of the iconic Eden Gardens stadium for the World Cup.The ICC said the Eden Gardens would be reinspected on January 31 for the last three of its scheduled four World Cup matches. These are the encounters between Ireland and South Africa (March 15), Ireland and Holland (March 18) and Kenya and Zimbabwe (March 20).The cricketing body had on Thursday ruled out Eden Gardens as the venue for the February 27 World Cup match between India and England.An ICC inspection team had visited Kolkata on Tuesday and deemed the stadium unfit as it was still undergoing renovation.ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat pulled up the BCCI and the Cricket Association of Bengal for failing to meet the deadlines. “All venues had ample time to prepare for the World Cup matches. We had been understanding and had provided extensions to the deadline dates, but unfortunately we are now at a point where we must carefully manage our risks,” Lorgat said. “Sadly, Eden Gardens in Kolkata was unable to meet the final deadline date of 25 January 2011. Eden Gardens has not made sufficient progress to justify the level of confidence required to confirm that the venue would be ready,” Lorgat said.