Advertisement Comment Cesc Fabregas sends class message to axed Arsenal talent spotter Francis Cagigao Cesc Fabregas broke into the Arsenal first team at a 17-year-old back in 2004 (Picture: Getty)‘Nothing would have been the same for me if you didn’t spot me at 15 years old, like so many others. I wish you all the very best for the future, your next team will be very very lucky to have your amazing football brain at their disposal.’Arsenal have also dispensed with the services of senior scouts Brian McDermott and Peter Clark, while Ty Gooden, who according to Goal played a major role in identifying William Saliba, has been dismissed. The FA Cup holders announced earlier this week that 55 club staff would be made redundant as a consequence of the coronavirus pandemic, but the changes to their scouting department are not linked. More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalDespite the financial strain being placed upon the club, Arsenal are determined to press ahead with their plans to bolster Mikel Arteta’s squad this summer. Willian is on the verge of joining on a free transfer from Chelsea, while talks are underway with Barcelona with the Gunners looking to strike a deal for Philippe Coutinho. Another Brazilian, Lille central defender Gabriel, is a top target while Arsenal are said to be increasingly confident that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will sign a new contract. MORE: Former Arsenal and Man Utd star Robin van Persie returns to Feyenoord as a coach: ‘I can’t say no to Dick’MORE: Barcelona the only threat to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang signing new Arsenal dealFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Metro Sport ReporterFriday 7 Aug 2020 11:48 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link389Shares Francis Cagigao was responsible for spotting the likes of Cesc Fabregas and Gabriel Martinelli (Picture: Instagram)Cesc Fabregas has paid a class tribute to Arsenal’s long-serving talent spotter Francis Cagigao who was axed earlier this week as part of the north London club’s dramatic shake up of their scouting network. The Spaniard played an instrumental role in bringing his compatriot to Arsenal as an unheralded teenager from Barcelona. Fabregas went on to establish himself as one of the finest midfield players in the club’s history before his subsequent return to Catalonia in the summer of 2011. Cagigao was also credited with playing a major role in unearthing the likes of Hector Bellerin and Gabriel Martinelli, but has been deemed surplus to requirements by Edu after the club’s technical director undertook a sweeping review of the club.AdvertisementAdvertisementFabregas believes he owes much of his success to Cagigao and believes his future employers will benefit hugely from his talent and widom.ADVERTISEMENTHe wrote on Instagram: ‘Thank you for the 24+ years of devotion, respect, dedication and love you gave to Arsenal. Advertisement
Patrick Larkin’s team face Moyle Rovers, who won through to the last four by beating Aherlow/Lattin Cullen Gaels last night.Kilsheelan played their quarter-final against Ballyporeen last Saturday.Patrick doesn’t think the teams’ contrasting schedules will have a significant bearing on the outcome of their clash. Tipp FM will have updates on the meeting of Moyle Rovers and Kilsheelan-Kilcash and the other semi-final between defending champions Clonmel Commercials and Loughmore-Castleiney on Sunday afternoon.
Mount Sinai hospitals says they will make coronavirus test kits available to staff members after several workers held a protest over the lack of adequate personal protective equipment and the inability for staff members to be tested at the hospital.Staff members at the New York hospital told NBC News that even though a nurse died after contracting the virus, and many other staff members in his department were beginning to show symptoms, they were not given access to the test.“The way management has been managing this crisis showed us that infectious disease protocol or staffing safety is not their concern,” a nurse told NBC.After a protest and several inquiries made by NBC, the hospital sent an email to staff members oking the testing of those showing symptoms:“Starting on Tuesday, April 7, if you develop symptoms consistent with COVID-19, we would like to test you for this viral infection using the PCR test with a nasopharyngeal swab within a few days of the onset of your symptoms,” said the email Saturday from Senior Vice President Vicki R. LoPachin to all staffers of the New York City area’s Mount Sinai hospital network. “This will provide guidance to you and to Employee Health Services regarding your clinical status and return to work.”For those who experienced symptoms prior to April 7th, the hospital says it would use another test:“If you were symptomatic prior to April 7, we would like to test you for COVID-19 infection using the serum antibody test. This will provide guidance to you on whether you did have COVID-19 infection as well as whether you are a candidate to provide a plasma donation to help others.”Read more here.
Former Pakistan captain and current International Cricket Council (ICC) president, Zaheer Abbas, has joined the race to head the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), following calls for sacking the top brass after the national team’s disastrous show in the Asia Cup and World T20.Abbas told reporters in Lahore at a function of Punjab Sports Board that he would be willing to head the PCB if given an offer.”I am always available for Pakistan in any capacity. My term as ICC president ends this year but even while I have the ICC post I can also head the Board if required,” he said.Widely regarded as one of the best batsmen of his era, Abbas gave the examples of BCCI officials, who have held dual positions in the ICC and the Indian board.”At the moment no one has approached me for any position in the board but yes if I am approached and invited to head the PCB I will not back down,” he said.Abbas said the PCB’s choice to appoint former captain Inzamam-ul-Haq as chief selector was a wise one but Pakistan cricket’s system needed overhauling.”Inzamam should do a good job but at the same time we need the right people in other positions as well including the most important post of head coach,” he said.Abbas said that the recent performances of the Pakistan team had been disappointing for everyone but there was talent in the country and there was a need to set the system right.advertisement”We have to strengthen our domestic structure and also clearly designate job descriptions so that there is no confusion or meddling in other person’s domain,” he added.