The letter highlighted that the board had failed to heed concerns pertaining to the institute’s governance and reminded its members of the Civil Service and the Ministry of Finance’s concerns that the agency is regulated by rules governing public-sector bodies, that the board is not an executive board and has no authority to revoke or appoint signing powers, cannot authorise who signs or who does not, or has any authority or privilege to sign cheques. It also objected to the board’s interference in deciding staff retirement and reassignment. “The board is acting beyond its scope and authority in removing senior staff from signing on behalf of the institute without cause,” said Grant. “Furthermore, your letter (April 14) indicates you (board) have informed the banks that staff are not to sign cheques. This is an absurd request, they (bank) cannot ignore the legitimate signatures approved by the Ministry of Finance how signatories must be assigned or removed from government accounts.” He continued: “Any decision by the administrative director is legal and binding. You have indicated that you will decide as a board who should retire or have employment extended. “To be so involved in the day to day issues of staff retirement and reassignment is another ridiculous stance as these persons are treated under the Civil Service Pensions Act,” Grant stated in his letter. Although citing the board’s instructions as “untenable”, the JCSA head advised Andrews to comply with the directives until, but specified that the administrative director cannot be held liable or responsible for any decision taken by the board. UNHEEDED CONCERNS LEADERSHIP BREACH The Jamaica Civil Service Association (JCSA) has again called for the resignation of the entire board of directors of the Institute of Sports (INSPORTS). This position, it said, was made on the grounds of a second round of attacks on the agency’s administrative director, Ian Andrews, with regard to having his signing authority removed, as well as its proposed action regarding retirement and contract extension of staff. Last year, the Don Anderson-led board rid Andrews of his signing authority – which is part of the administrative director’s job description – a decision that was overturned after a directive by the Ministry of Finance. Now, the INSPORTS board is headed in the same direction. However, the JCSA, which represents government workers, has filed a strong response. In a letter dated April 27 to board Chairman Don Anderson, President of the JCSA, O’Neil Grant, revealed that they were in receipt of two correspondents sent to Andrews (April 8th and 14th) by Anderson on behalf of the INSPORTS board. Grant raised a number of concerns and insists that the action proposed by the board is “ridiculous” and “untenable” and clearly violates the statutes and regulations applicable to government entities. “I must alert you (board) that the JSCA will be calling for the replacement of the board and particularly you (Anderson) as chairman, as we have seen where your leadership of the organisation has breached all public bodies’ guidelines, acts and regulations. Mr Andrews cannot be held liable for any decision taken by the board that he is forced to comply with, despite his declared concerns,” highlighted Grant. Efforts to reach chairman of the INSPORTS board, Anderson, for comments via telephone proved unsuccessful, as all calls went unanswered. The JCSA letter was copied to Minister of Culture, Gender Affairs, Entertainment and Sport, Olivia ‘Babsy’ Grange, Alison McLean, the ministry’s permanent secretary, Mrs. Loris Jarrett, deputy financial secretary, Ministry of Finance and Public Service, the ministry’s financial secretary, Devon Rowe, Mrs. Pamela Monroe-Ellis, auditor general, auditor general’s department, all members of the INSPORTS board and Andrews.
29 July 2008 For the work to be carried out at the Russian project, situated in the town of Kotelnikovo, Shaft Sinkers will use a special technique for water-bearing rock grouting, as opposed to the more traditional method of rock freezing. The contract was signed by EuroChem GM Dmitry Strezhnev, Shaft Sinkers MD Robert Schroder and financial director Christopher Hall. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material “After the commissioning of the Gremyachinskoye mine in 2012 EuroChem will become the largest Russian and the fourth [largest] company in the world producing the entire range of mineral fertilisers, such as nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium,” the statement read. According to a Mining Weekly article this week, the deal is believed to be one of the largest mining construction contracts entered into between a Russian and South African company. “Shaft Sinkers is a leading mining company sinking shafts by means of rock cementation and grouting,” the company said in a statement this week. “That makes a fundamental difference between the construction of the man and material shaft of the future mine and sinking similar shafts in the past.” With the total project cost expected at approximately $2-billion (approximately R14.9-billion), it is one of the largest investment projects by private companies in the modern-day Russian Federation. Preliminary works on the project commenced in June this year, while completion of the man and material shaft technological complex construction and commissioning is scheduled for January 2012. SAinfo reporter South African expertise Russian mineral and chemicals company EuroChem has awarded a contract worth US$270-million (approximately R2.02-billion) to South Africa’s Shaft Sinkers for shaft construction at EuroChem’s Gremyachinskoye potash deposit in Russia’s Volgograd region. EuroChem has since 2006 been involved in the development of the Gremyachinskoye potash deposit in Volgograd Region, which according to geological data contains over 1.2-billion tons of potash resources of exceptional ore quality. Mining Weekly added that the workforce would comprise a key group of South African expatriates of up to 50 people, who would then employ and train local workers.
The final draft of Assam’s National Register of Citizens (NRC) will not be released on June 30 as scheduled, owing to the heavy floods in the Barak Valley, NRC State coordinator Prateek Hajela said here on Thursday.He added that a petition was filed in the Supreme Court last week, seeking more time to prepare the draft. The apex court has fixed the date of hearing on July 2. The NRC is being updated under the Supreme Court supervision to weed out illegal immigrants.Meanwhile, security across the State has been stepped up ahead of the publication of the draft to prevent any untoward incident. Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said the names of all “genuine Indians” would be incorporated in the list.The first NRC draft was released on January 1, in which the names of 1.9 crore of the 3.29 crore applicants were included. Assam, which faced an influx of people from Bangladesh since the early 20th century, is the only State with an NRC, which was first prepared in 1951.