Update on the latest sports

first_imgUpdate on the latest sports April 17, 2020 She was elected through through the contributor’s category, joining a 2021 class that so far includes Tiger Woods.Hollins was a visionary in golf course architecture. She financed and developed a club only for women in New York in the early 1920s. And she was the brains behind Cypress Point Club and Pasatiempo in California.Hollins died in 1944 when she was 51.The Hall of Fame announced her election Friday. The induction is planned for March in Florida.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSUNDATED (AP) — NASCAR has postponed the May 9 race at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia, since the state is under a stay-at-home order until June 10. It gave no indication when the season will resume.NASCAR suspended its season four events into the year when sports shut down because of the coronavirus pandemic. It had listed Martinsville as its first race to resume, but acknowledged Friday it will not be able to hold the event. NASCAR says it is still committed to running all 36 Cup Series races this year and will consider holding events without fans. To date, eight races have been postponed. — The NFL will hold a practice remote draft on Monday, three days before the real thing is done in the same way. Detroit Lions general manager Bob Quinn didn’t provide any details on the proceedings in a Zoom meeting with reporters Friday, other than that the Lions will be part of it. Commissioner Roger Goodell ordered all team facilities closed in March, and later required club personnel to conduct the draft from their homes. Because of the reliance on free-flowing communication, the league decided to stage a mock draft to ensure that the proceedings next Thursday, Friday and Saturday would go smoothly.— Actor Kevin Hart, singers Kane Brown and Quavo are among the entertainers who will participate in the NFL’s Draft-A-Thon live stream that will accompany the draft. The league will be raising funds for six national nonprofit organizations battling the new coronavirus pandemic that caused the NFL to cancel all draft events in Las Vegas. Instead, the April 23-25 proceedings will be done remotely and virtually. The Draft-A-Thon will be live-streamed on NFL social and digital platforms and featured in live draft coverage on ABC, ESPN, NFL Network, and ESPN Deportes. Donations now can be made at NFL.com/RELIEF.— The NBA and WNBA say they plan to sell cloth face coverings bearing team and league logos and that all proceeds generated by the league will go to charity. The proceeds will go to Feeding America in the U.S. and Second Harvest in Canada. Both of those organizations work to assist the hungry. Face-covering manufacturers FOCO and Industry Rag will also be amping up charity efforts through sales. They will donate one face covering for every one purchased to the benefiting charities.— The governing body of track and field is leading a panel of Olympic sports to advise on safely organizing mass gathering events amid the coronavirus pandemic. World Athletics says the Outbreak Prevention Taskforce includes the International Institute for Race Medicine and officials from cycling, rowing, skiing, triathlon and the International Paralympic Committee. They will get input from a member of the World Health Organization’s coronavirus mass gatherings expert group.The panel has its first meeting next week and plans to work with advisers from industry, sponsors and the media.— The English Premier League says it still wants to complete its season. The league held a call with all 20 soccer clubs but provided no specifics about its plan to resume. The competition was suspended more than a month ago because of the coronavirus pandemic. The league only says it discussed “possible scheduling models” and that “it remains our objective to complete the 2019-20 season but at this stage all dates are tentative while the impact of COVID-19 develops.” The league says it will only restart “with the full support of the government” and when “medical guidance allows.” Associated Press center_img COLLEGE BASKETBALL-NBA DRAFTTar Heels star freshman Cole Anthony entering NBA draftUNDATED (AP) — North Carolina freshman point guard Cole Anthony has announced that he is entering the NBA draft.Anthony had been considered a likely one-and-done player and a high first-round draft prospect before his arrival in Chapel Hill. He said last month he was delaying any draft announcements while looking to find ways to help amid the coronavirus pandemic.The 6-foot-3 son of former UNLV and NBA player Greg Anthony averaged a team-high 18.5 points. His 34 points against Notre Dame set an Atlantic Coast Conference record for points by a freshman in his debut. Also, guard Malachi Flynn has decided to forego his senior season at San Diego State and enter the NBA draft. He was a consensus All-American and the Mountain West Conference Player of the Year after transferring from Washington State and sitting out one season. He led SDSU to a 30-2 record, the regular-season Mountain West title and a No. 6 ranking. Flynn transferred to SDSU because he wanted to be part of a winning program. He never got a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament. The Aztecs were projected as a No. 1 or 2 seed before this year’s tournament was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.NHL-JETS-BYFUGLIENJets, Dustin Byfuglien agree to terminate his contractUNDATED (AP) — The Winnipeg Jets and Dustin Byfuglien (BUHF’-lihn) have agreed to mutually terminate the veteran defenseman’s contract after a lengthy dispute, potentially marking the end of his hockey-playing career.No financial settlement was part of the agreement, meaning Byfuglien walked away from the $14 million remaining on his contract for this season and next. Winnipeg general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff said a conversation in September led him to believe Byfuglien was healthy but “had lost his desire to play in the National Hockey League.” The Jets suspended the 35-year-old for not reporting to training camp and received a call from his agent in October that he was considering a return. Byfuglien underwent ankle surgery in October and rehabbed into the winter.Byfuglien filed a grievance through the NHL Players’ Association believing he should be paid while recovering from a hockey injury. Talks including the league and Jets led to the resolution that terminated his contract Friday, effective immediately.GOLF HALL OF FAME-HOLLINSMarion Hollins elected to 2021 class of Golf Hall of FameUNDATED (AP) — Marion Hollins has been elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame. NASCAR has privately given teams a revised schedule in which racing would return with the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 24. The revisions call for some weeknight races and doubleheaders through the summer.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— Women’s golf has lost another senior major because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Senior LPGA Championship has been canceled. It was scheduled to be played July 30-Aug. 1 at French Lick Resort in Indiana. The USGA previously canceled the U.S. Senior Women’s Open. The Senior LPGA will stay at French Lick in 2021. The new dates will be determined later.— Major League Soccer says it is pushing back restarting the season to at least June 8. Teams had played two matches before the season was suspended on March 12 because of the coronavirus pandemic and the league had been looking at possibly resuming play in mid-May. The league is also discussing possible salary cuts with the players’ union because of the financial hit the league and teams are facing. MLS and the players’ union agreed to terms of a new contract in early February, but it had not been ratified when the season was put on hold.— Von Miller says he is in good spirits and “not feeling sick or hurting” after testing positive for the coronavirus. The Denver Broncos linebacker Miller told KUSA-TV in Denver that he developed a cough a couple of days ago. When his nebulizer for his asthma didn’t clear things up, he decided to get tested for the coronavirus. Now he is resting at his home in Denver. In a statement, the Broncos said Miller is “doing well” and is under the care of team doctors. The team said Miller “elected to share his diagnosis publicly to emphasize that anyone can be afflicted with coronavirus.” Miller wrote in an Instagram post Thursday night that he is going to do whatever he can to get through this, adding: “Take this seriously. It’s definitely FOR REAL.”last_img read more

Stave shut down indefinitely

first_imgUpdate: Badgers head coach Gary Andersen told reporters after this story was published that Stave is still out indefinitely, but not because of an injury. Read our update on that news conference and stay tuned for more developments of Stave’s condition and Wisconsin football coverage.Update: Stave out indefinitely but not injuredThe Wisconsin football quarterback situation took another confusing turn Monday afternoon following practice, with Joel Stave remaining out indefinitely, but Read…The Wisconsin football team’s quarterback situation just got that much more interesting with some oddly timed injury news.After stating in his press conference Monday afternoon that the top two quarterbacks, Tanner McEvoy and Joel Stave, would play, head coach Gary Andersen announced Tuesday that Stave has had lingering shoulder problems and will sit out for an undetermined amount of time.“Joel has been dealing with some issues with his throwing shoulder for the last couple of weeks and we have come to a decision, after talking with Joel, that the best thing for him right now is to shut it down and give him some rest,” Andersen said in an injury update Tuesday morning. “It was a tough decision because Joel is a great competitor and has a tremendous desire to help this team. We will continue to monitor his progress but we’re not putting a timetable on his return at this time.”Stave originally injured his throwing shoulder during UW’s New Year’s Day loss to South Carolina in the Capital One Bowl and still has yet to make a full recovery. With Andersen’s description of the injury, Stave’s health very well might have decided the quarterback job.The announcement comes as part two of a confusing sequence of events related to injuries. Following Saturday night’s 28-24 loss to LSU both Andersen and star running back Melvin Gordon confirmed that Gordon was healthy and the lack of second half carries was due to a coach’s decision. Then Monday afternoon in his press conference, Andersen said Gordon suffered a hip pointer and the staff was just trying to keep him fresh during the second half of play.As far as what Stave’s injury means for Wisconsin, Tanner McEvoy will still start Saturday’s game as planned. However, instead of the possibility of using Stave should McEvoy run into trouble, McEvoy will be the starter for the foreseeable future until Stave recuperates his shoulder. Bart Houston is currently the third string quarterback, but the redshirt sophomore has yet to see significant playing time in a game in his career.last_img read more

REVEALED: CROOKED BISHOP CONDUCTED SHAM MARRIAGES IN DONEGAL

first_imgGuilty: Pat BuckleyA CROOKED bishop convicted of carrying out illegal marriages conducted three of the sham ceremonies here in Donegal, we can reveal.Pat Buckley, who is 61, was excommunicated by the Catholic Church more than a decade ago and now operates an independent church. He was given a suspended jail term after he admitted his involvement in sham marriages when he appeared in court in Belfast.Buckley, of Princes Gardens, Larne, was given a three and a half year jail sentence, suspended for three years after admitting 14 charges of conspiracy to defraud.He performed marriage ceremonies between illegal immigrants from Asia and Portugese women. He charged €400 plus expenses and conducted three of the marriages here in County Donegal.Sentencing him, the judge told him: “What you did was wrong. You committed a series of serious crimes which you did for a financial reward.”“Nothing can disguise the fact that you, as someone who professed to be a man of God and who should have been setting an example to others of how to behave, let yourself down, let your ministry down and betrayed the trust of all those to whom you should have been providing leadership and guidance.“The loss of your reputation is bound to have hit you hard.”An organised crime detective said the sentencing marked the culmination of an investigation that “spanned three continents and has lasted over four years”.“This investigation uncovered the systematic abuse of the EU immigration system in which criminals, some from a professional background, provided false documentation for work permits,” said PSNI detective Andrea McMullan.Speaking after his sentencing, Buckley said he felt a “strong sense of compassion for those who must live outside the EU in profound poverty and appalling circumstances”.“I am glad that the judge and the prosecution accept that I have provided solace to the outcasts and that my door is always open to the downtrodden.“I am sorry for allowing my compassion to bring me to the point of breaking the law – the laws that our society agree upon.“I did not intend to offend my fellow citizens, but I accept that I have, and again for that I want to say that I am sorry.”REVEALED: CROOKED BISHOP CONDUCTED SHAM MARRIAGES IN DONEGAL was last modified: December 22nd, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BishopconvictedcrookPat Buckleylast_img read more