Advertisement Comment Cesc Fabregas sends class message to axed Arsenal talent spotter Francis Cagigao Cesc Fabregas broke into the Arsenal first team at a 17-year-old back in 2004 (Picture: Getty)‘Nothing would have been the same for me if you didn’t spot me at 15 years old, like so many others. I wish you all the very best for the future, your next team will be very very lucky to have your amazing football brain at their disposal.’Arsenal have also dispensed with the services of senior scouts Brian McDermott and Peter Clark, while Ty Gooden, who according to Goal played a major role in identifying William Saliba, has been dismissed. The FA Cup holders announced earlier this week that 55 club staff would be made redundant as a consequence of the coronavirus pandemic, but the changes to their scouting department are not linked. More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalDespite the financial strain being placed upon the club, Arsenal are determined to press ahead with their plans to bolster Mikel Arteta’s squad this summer. Willian is on the verge of joining on a free transfer from Chelsea, while talks are underway with Barcelona with the Gunners looking to strike a deal for Philippe Coutinho. Another Brazilian, Lille central defender Gabriel, is a top target while Arsenal are said to be increasingly confident that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will sign a new contract. MORE: Former Arsenal and Man Utd star Robin van Persie returns to Feyenoord as a coach: ‘I can’t say no to Dick’MORE: Barcelona the only threat to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang signing new Arsenal dealFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Metro Sport ReporterFriday 7 Aug 2020 11:48 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link389Shares Francis Cagigao was responsible for spotting the likes of Cesc Fabregas and Gabriel Martinelli (Picture: Instagram)Cesc Fabregas has paid a class tribute to Arsenal’s long-serving talent spotter Francis Cagigao who was axed earlier this week as part of the north London club’s dramatic shake up of their scouting network. The Spaniard played an instrumental role in bringing his compatriot to Arsenal as an unheralded teenager from Barcelona. Fabregas went on to establish himself as one of the finest midfield players in the club’s history before his subsequent return to Catalonia in the summer of 2011. Cagigao was also credited with playing a major role in unearthing the likes of Hector Bellerin and Gabriel Martinelli, but has been deemed surplus to requirements by Edu after the club’s technical director undertook a sweeping review of the club.AdvertisementAdvertisementFabregas believes he owes much of his success to Cagigao and believes his future employers will benefit hugely from his talent and widom.ADVERTISEMENTHe wrote on Instagram: ‘Thank you for the 24+ years of devotion, respect, dedication and love you gave to Arsenal. Advertisement
USC football coach Lane Kiffin denied multiple reports of a locker room brawl following USC’s 21-7 loss against Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl.“Contrary to media reports, there was not a brawl or altercation in our locker room after the Sun Bowl,” Kiffin said in a statement released by the university Wednesday. “There was a noisy verbal exchange among a couple players who were frustrated with the outcome of the game. It lasted less than a minute and was nothing physical. It happens sometimes in football locker rooms after a disappointing loss.”The Los Angeles Daily News reported Wednesday that a fight involving upward of 15 football players broke out after a number of freshmen on the team questioned whether or not the seniors were giving full effort in their final collegiate game. Quarterback Matt Barkley, safety T.J. McDonald and center Khaled Holmes were among the outgoing players. Junior cornerback Nickell Robey later announced his intentions to declare for the draft as well.ESPN later expanded on the original story by the Daily News, adding that “multiple sources told ESPN that a ‘flat-out brawl’ transpired when one of the team’s younger players began ‘bad-mouthing’ Matt Barkley.”Barkley also denied the accusations that anything physical took place, telling ESPN Radio host Colin Cowherd that “tempers flared … guys were expressing their opinions, for better or worse, but we had it under control. It was nothing to be alarmed about.”The Trojans completed a disappointing 2012-13 campaign with a 7-6 record after falling to Georgia Tech on Dec. 31. They entered the regular season as the No. 1-ranked team in the Associated Press top 25 poll but dropped five of their last six contests after starting 6-1. USC lost starting quarterback Barkley to a right shoulder injury in the closing minutes of a 38-28 defeat against the UCLA Bruins, and he wasn’t able to return in time for the team’s bowl game in El Paso, Texas.