SIMEC Atlantis Divests Its Canadian Tidal JV

first_imgSIMEC Atlantis said it has completed the proposed sale of the company’s stake in its Canadian joint venture at the FORCE facility in Nova Scotia, Canada, to its renewable energy development partner DP Energy group.DP Energy has acquired the remaining 50% interest in Atlantis Operations (Canada) Limited (“AOCL”). Following completion, AOCL will be renamed to become Rio Fundo Operations Canada.The cash transaction enables the DP Energy group to take a more integrated approach to the AOCL berth alongside its pre-existing wholly owned berth at the FORCE facility. This transaction returns C$400,000 to SIMEC Atlantis and, according to the company, allows the management team to focus resources on other opportunities in the UK, France and Asia and will allow the DP Energy team to focus efforts on the development of the tidal stream industry in Nova Scotia.Tim Cornelius, Atlantis CEO, said: “I am pleased that we have been able to agree this sale with DP Energy. They have experience and presence in Canada and are well suited to deliver a project in Nova Scotia. This transaction returns value to our shareholders and allows us to focus on the exciting opportunities across the SIMEC group.”Simon De Pietro, DP Energy director, said: “DP Energy is delighted work with the Nova Scotia Government to promote the development of tidal energy as a major source of renewable electricity production in Canada and we are eager to take on the exciting challenges provided by the tidal resource in the Bay of Fundy. The venture adds further depth to the growing portfolio of renewable energy projects of the DP Energy group of companies worldwide. “last_img read more

See archaeology in action at Versailles State Park Tuesday

first_imgVersailles, In. — The public can tour an archaeological survey, chat with archaeologists, and learn about the history of Versailles State Park during a special program on Tuesday, August 14.The program runs from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Oak Grove Shelter.Representatives from Ball State University’s Applied Anthropology Laboratories (AAL), along with AAL field students and staff from the DNR Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology (DHPA) will be on site to lead the program.AAL staff will offer short tours of the archaeological site, which includes shovel test digs and surveying sites. Additionally, staff from the park and DHPA will offer informational and educational activities, including artifact displays, artifact identification, hands-on activities and more.At 2 p.m., local resident and historian Bill Dallman will talk about the history of the land and the families who lived there.The program is free after paying the standard park admission fee of $7 per in-state vehicle and $9 per out-of-state vehicle.The public program is one element of a targeted archaeological survey to uncover what remains of 19th-century life at several sites within the park. Archaeologists will use ground-penetrating radar and other methods to survey footpaths, privies, outbuildings and hidden home foundations.The Versailles area is historically significant because it was among the first planned towns in early Indiana. The park’s historic home sites are well preserved and offer a trove of information on daily life in early Indiana.This project has been funded in part by a grant from the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service’s Historic Preservation Fund, administered by the DHPA.last_img read more

Update on the latest sports

first_imgUpdate on the latest sports April 17, 2020 She was elected through through the contributor’s category, joining a 2021 class that so far includes Tiger Woods.Hollins was a visionary in golf course architecture. She financed and developed a club only for women in New York in the early 1920s. And she was the brains behind Cypress Point Club and Pasatiempo in California.Hollins died in 1944 when she was 51.The Hall of Fame announced her election Friday. The induction is planned for March in Florida.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSUNDATED (AP) — NASCAR has postponed the May 9 race at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia, since the state is under a stay-at-home order until June 10. It gave no indication when the season will resume.NASCAR suspended its season four events into the year when sports shut down because of the coronavirus pandemic. It had listed Martinsville as its first race to resume, but acknowledged Friday it will not be able to hold the event. NASCAR says it is still committed to running all 36 Cup Series races this year and will consider holding events without fans. To date, eight races have been postponed. — The NFL will hold a practice remote draft on Monday, three days before the real thing is done in the same way. Detroit Lions general manager Bob Quinn didn’t provide any details on the proceedings in a Zoom meeting with reporters Friday, other than that the Lions will be part of it. Commissioner Roger Goodell ordered all team facilities closed in March, and later required club personnel to conduct the draft from their homes. Because of the reliance on free-flowing communication, the league decided to stage a mock draft to ensure that the proceedings next Thursday, Friday and Saturday would go smoothly.— Actor Kevin Hart, singers Kane Brown and Quavo are among the entertainers who will participate in the NFL’s Draft-A-Thon live stream that will accompany the draft. The league will be raising funds for six national nonprofit organizations battling the new coronavirus pandemic that caused the NFL to cancel all draft events in Las Vegas. Instead, the April 23-25 proceedings will be done remotely and virtually. The Draft-A-Thon will be live-streamed on NFL social and digital platforms and featured in live draft coverage on ABC, ESPN, NFL Network, and ESPN Deportes. Donations now can be made at NFL.com/RELIEF.— The NBA and WNBA say they plan to sell cloth face coverings bearing team and league logos and that all proceeds generated by the league will go to charity. The proceeds will go to Feeding America in the U.S. and Second Harvest in Canada. Both of those organizations work to assist the hungry. Face-covering manufacturers FOCO and Industry Rag will also be amping up charity efforts through sales. They will donate one face covering for every one purchased to the benefiting charities.— The governing body of track and field is leading a panel of Olympic sports to advise on safely organizing mass gathering events amid the coronavirus pandemic. World Athletics says the Outbreak Prevention Taskforce includes the International Institute for Race Medicine and officials from cycling, rowing, skiing, triathlon and the International Paralympic Committee. They will get input from a member of the World Health Organization’s coronavirus mass gatherings expert group.The panel has its first meeting next week and plans to work with advisers from industry, sponsors and the media.— The English Premier League says it still wants to complete its season. The league held a call with all 20 soccer clubs but provided no specifics about its plan to resume. The competition was suspended more than a month ago because of the coronavirus pandemic. The league only says it discussed “possible scheduling models” and that “it remains our objective to complete the 2019-20 season but at this stage all dates are tentative while the impact of COVID-19 develops.” The league says it will only restart “with the full support of the government” and when “medical guidance allows.” Associated Press center_img COLLEGE BASKETBALL-NBA DRAFTTar Heels star freshman Cole Anthony entering NBA draftUNDATED (AP) — North Carolina freshman point guard Cole Anthony has announced that he is entering the NBA draft.Anthony had been considered a likely one-and-done player and a high first-round draft prospect before his arrival in Chapel Hill. He said last month he was delaying any draft announcements while looking to find ways to help amid the coronavirus pandemic.The 6-foot-3 son of former UNLV and NBA player Greg Anthony averaged a team-high 18.5 points. His 34 points against Notre Dame set an Atlantic Coast Conference record for points by a freshman in his debut. Also, guard Malachi Flynn has decided to forego his senior season at San Diego State and enter the NBA draft. He was a consensus All-American and the Mountain West Conference Player of the Year after transferring from Washington State and sitting out one season. He led SDSU to a 30-2 record, the regular-season Mountain West title and a No. 6 ranking. Flynn transferred to SDSU because he wanted to be part of a winning program. He never got a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament. The Aztecs were projected as a No. 1 or 2 seed before this year’s tournament was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.NHL-JETS-BYFUGLIENJets, Dustin Byfuglien agree to terminate his contractUNDATED (AP) — The Winnipeg Jets and Dustin Byfuglien (BUHF’-lihn) have agreed to mutually terminate the veteran defenseman’s contract after a lengthy dispute, potentially marking the end of his hockey-playing career.No financial settlement was part of the agreement, meaning Byfuglien walked away from the $14 million remaining on his contract for this season and next. Winnipeg general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff said a conversation in September led him to believe Byfuglien was healthy but “had lost his desire to play in the National Hockey League.” The Jets suspended the 35-year-old for not reporting to training camp and received a call from his agent in October that he was considering a return. Byfuglien underwent ankle surgery in October and rehabbed into the winter.Byfuglien filed a grievance through the NHL Players’ Association believing he should be paid while recovering from a hockey injury. Talks including the league and Jets led to the resolution that terminated his contract Friday, effective immediately.GOLF HALL OF FAME-HOLLINSMarion Hollins elected to 2021 class of Golf Hall of FameUNDATED (AP) — Marion Hollins has been elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame. NASCAR has privately given teams a revised schedule in which racing would return with the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 24. The revisions call for some weeknight races and doubleheaders through the summer.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— Women’s golf has lost another senior major because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Senior LPGA Championship has been canceled. It was scheduled to be played July 30-Aug. 1 at French Lick Resort in Indiana. The USGA previously canceled the U.S. Senior Women’s Open. The Senior LPGA will stay at French Lick in 2021. The new dates will be determined later.— Major League Soccer says it is pushing back restarting the season to at least June 8. Teams had played two matches before the season was suspended on March 12 because of the coronavirus pandemic and the league had been looking at possibly resuming play in mid-May. The league is also discussing possible salary cuts with the players’ union because of the financial hit the league and teams are facing. MLS and the players’ union agreed to terms of a new contract in early February, but it had not been ratified when the season was put on hold.— Von Miller says he is in good spirits and “not feeling sick or hurting” after testing positive for the coronavirus. The Denver Broncos linebacker Miller told KUSA-TV in Denver that he developed a cough a couple of days ago. When his nebulizer for his asthma didn’t clear things up, he decided to get tested for the coronavirus. Now he is resting at his home in Denver. In a statement, the Broncos said Miller is “doing well” and is under the care of team doctors. The team said Miller “elected to share his diagnosis publicly to emphasize that anyone can be afflicted with coronavirus.” Miller wrote in an Instagram post Thursday night that he is going to do whatever he can to get through this, adding: “Take this seriously. It’s definitely FOR REAL.”last_img read more

Johnson confident in freshman following pair of wins over SCSU

first_imgFollowing a disappointing pair of close losses to No. 1 Minnesota, Mark Johnson was pleased to see the consistency of the women’s hockey team, particularly the freshmen, as they earned two wins against St. Cloud State.The No. 2 Badgers (4-2, 4-2 WCHA) trounced the Huskies 4-1 Friday night in a game where UW fired 56 shots-on-net. The team returned Saturday to post a decisive 6-0 game two win.“Just reflecting on our two games this past weekend against St. Cloud, as I told the team Saturday night or afternoon after our second game, we were able to put six good periods together,” Johnson said. “I thought our intensity and our pace in Friday night’s game was excellent.”With tough losses against the No. 1 Minnesota Gophers the prior weekend, the Badgers’ ability to bounce back and to execute their game plan against St. Cloud State was a refreshing sight for Johnson.“I think the mindset, as a coaching staff, we have to make sure our players are on the same level that we’re at, and I think we were able to do that,” Johnson said. “We talked about competing and having that intensity Friday night, and for certainly the first two periods, when the shots were certainly lopsided if you looked at the shot chart, and we were able to do that.”With a strong sense of mentorship between veteran and new players, Johnson has expressed confidence in his freshman players.Freshman goaltender Ann-Renée Desbiens earned the start in Saturday’s matchup against the Huskies, giving senior goaltender and captain Alex Rigsby a rest. Desbeins recorded an impressive 6-0 shutout in her first-ever start.Johnson was not only impressed with Desbiens’ performance, but also the mature mentality he saw coming from a young player.“I thought her composure, I thought her poise, didn’t look like it was her first game,” Johnson said. “What was interesting, as we were taking the ice at the start of the game, Alex was leading the team out. I was trying to think in the back of my mind, ‘does Ann realize she’s playing?’ Usually in our business, the goaltender that’s going to start leads the team out. Someone told me, ‘No, Ann didn’t want to lead the team out.’ She wanted our captain to lead the team out.”Desbiens is not the only freshman to impress Johnson so far this season. As the team gets deeper into their schedule, the young Badgers will be increasingly looked on to make an impact on the ice no matter who the competition may be. Freshman forwards Sydney McKibbon and Sarah Nurse have both recorded their first career goals of the season and have tallied two points apiece thus far. Johnson has been pleased with the freshmen’s ability to exude confidence and skill, not only in practice but in big game situations.“I’ve been very impressed since our first practice with this group. They seem to be composed. They haven’t been really nervous at any other point than maybe taking our team photo,” Johnson said. “But I think for [McKibbon] and for [Nurse] to get some production early on, especially goals, it takes the pressure of that away real quickly … They seemed comfortable playing against Minnesota’s top line throughout both the games up there.”Wisconsin will look to keep their momentum going against a winless Lindenwood this coming weekend.While the Badgers are primed for another pair of wins on paper, Johnson was adamant that it doesn’t matter how well or poor his team performed last week, the preparations for the next opponent remain set at the highest standards.“You practice today and then throughout the week, the expectations are we practice at a high level,” Johnson said. “And one thing I’ve learned is, you know, you have to respect your opponent. Don’t look at their record. Don’t look at their history. Prepare for that 60 minutes Friday night like it’s the last game of the season and you have to go out and win it.”The Badgers will go up against the Lions (0-7-1) Friday and Saturday at LaBahn Arena. The series will serve as the final UW home stand before the team goes on a six-game road stint in November.last_img read more