Local residents have a rare opportunity to see a documentary about the extraordinary life of Amsterdam native Dr. Tom Catena this weekend. The film, “The Heart of Nuba,” is produced by his Brown University classmate Ken Carlson and executive-produced by Maria Shriver. It’s currently showing in large metropolitan areas, but we have a special opportunity to view it here.It profiles his life as the only doctor serving 1 million patients in the war-torn Nuba Mountains of Sudan. The film will be shown at Emerald Cinemas on Route 30 in Amsterdam on April 27, 28 and 29 at 1, 4, 7 and 9 p.m. each day. The matinées are $12.50 and the evening shows are $15. All proceeds will benefit the African Mission Healthcare Foundation, which supports the Mother of Mercy Hospital where Dr. Catena works. Funds go directly to train more doctors and nurses.To view a trailer or learn more about this documentary, visit www.theheartofnuba.com Don’t miss this opportunity to view a life-changing film about a life of service and genuine humanity.Lisa McCoyJohnstownMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationBroadalbin-Perth’s Tomlinson seizing the day by competing in cross country and golf this fallEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homes Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion
“One way to maximise the benefit for the default fund is to access private markets”Mats Langensjö“One way to maximise the benefit for the default fund is to access private markets, if the board or management of the default fund thinks it can add value to the portfolio,” he said adding that this was nevertheless something that needed to be implemented over time and with care.Langensjö is a veteran of Swedish pension system reform, before this latest commission having led one public inquiry and the three annual reviews leading to the new AP-fund law in 1999.IPE asked him whether he found there were always some interests that resisted reform.He said: “My experience is that the government are quite good at seeing past the responses that are more to protect current positions, market structure or keep the status quo, and on to what are honest and relevant contributions to improve the default fund.”Langensjö said his job was to suggest a way forward that was good for the members, the pension system and one could actually be implemented – rather than being a theoretical or fragmented idea.“I had to be holistic and consider the broader context,” he said.To read the digital edition of IPE’s latest magazine click here. Pension system troubleshooter Mats Langensjö says the consultation on his plan to overhaul the default option in Sweden’s premium pension system has produced some great suggestions – among those simply driving particular agendas.The current framework for AP7 – the SEK670bn (€63.4bn) national pension fund which runs the choice-free alternative in the first-pillar defined contribution (DC) system – is long outdated and hails from when its position was totally different, according to the independent consultant.Responding to questions, Langensjö told IPE: “This change is long overdue and I believe my proposal will give the default fund a more relevant structure and still have a framework that has the flexibility to accommodate future changes or economic scenarios.”The consultation ended on Monday, having been launched on 17 February, and resulted in 28 published responses after 37 stakeholders had been invited to comment. While many of the respondents praised the proposal or large parts of it, others, such as some academics and the Swedish Investment Fund Association, had criticisms.Asked what he thought of the responses as a whole, Langensjö said: “I believe overall it is a typical and expected range of responses in this kind of public consultation process – some really good suggestions on details that can improve the implementation and also the future process.”At hand was a complicated and important matter, he said, which affected millions of pension scheme members and a large, complex portfolio, so there were many benefits to be had from the consultation process.“As always, and as you can expect, there are those respondees who take a narrower approach or drive a certain agenda. That is understandable and expected,” he said.Langensjö said he expected several details, technical suggestions and proposals for the implementation process itself contained in responses to be taken into consideration by legislators.State pension buffer fund AP6, which specialises in private equity investment, said in its response that there was a need for further investigation of some aspects of the plan in relation to AP7’s proposed future as a major private equity investor.However, Langensjö said this had been addressed in his report, with much of the work having already been done in the form of extensive analysis carried out by the Ministry of Finance over the recent broadening of investment rules for the four main state pension funds, AP1-4.“Most responders did not have the time and ability to take the same holistic approach as I did in my work, considering many different perspectives and in the end proposing relevant legislation,” he said.“One of my key points is that a default fund in a compulsory state DC-plan has to be given all the means, ability and flexibility to adjust the portfolio over time and in different economic environments,” he said.The default fund was for premium pension scheme members who really needed professional portfolio management, whereas people who had the skill or need for an individual risk profile or asset allocation could use the range of funds on the funds platform, he said.
The Norwegian car shipping company Höegh Autoliners has been referred to the Competition Tribunal of South Africa for prosecution on seven charges relating to collusive tendering, price fixing and market division.The charges come on the back of a probe into widespread anti-competitive conduct in the market for the provision of transportation of motor vehicles, equipment and machinery by sea to and from South Africa, according to the country’s Competition Commission.Höegh Autoliners was accused of colluding with Japan’s Mitsui O.S.K Lines Ltd (MOL) from around 2009, when the two companies allegedly engaged in prohibited practices in that they agreed and/or engaged in concerted practices as competitors to fix prices, divide markets and tender collusively.The Commission said that the charges entail a number of collusive activities from 1997 to 2010 to ship motor vehicles from Thailand, Japan and India to South Africa, from South Africa to Europe, North Africa and North America, as well as to Europe.MOL previously approached the Commission in terms of its Corporate Leniency Policy and was subsequently granted leniency for its involvement in the cartel conduct in exchange for information and full cooperation in the matter.In referring the matter against Höegh to the Tribunal for adjudication, the Commission is seeking an order declaring that the company is liable for the payment of an administrative penalty equal to 10% of its annual turnover on each of the charges.
The suspect was detained in the lockup cell of the Bingawan police station. ILOILO City – He was listed as the No. 2 most wanted person in the municipal police station of Bingawan, Iloilo. Sierra’s apprehension was staged on the strength of an arrest warrant for the crime of rape, the report added. The 33-year-old Reymund Sierra was caught in Barangay Progreso, Ajuy, Iloilo around 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, a police report showed. No bail bond was recommended for his temporary liberty./PN
Versailles, In. — The public can tour an archaeological survey, chat with archaeologists, and learn about the history of Versailles State Park during a special program on Tuesday, August 14.The program runs from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Oak Grove Shelter.Representatives from Ball State University’s Applied Anthropology Laboratories (AAL), along with AAL field students and staff from the DNR Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology (DHPA) will be on site to lead the program.AAL staff will offer short tours of the archaeological site, which includes shovel test digs and surveying sites. Additionally, staff from the park and DHPA will offer informational and educational activities, including artifact displays, artifact identification, hands-on activities and more.At 2 p.m., local resident and historian Bill Dallman will talk about the history of the land and the families who lived there.The program is free after paying the standard park admission fee of $7 per in-state vehicle and $9 per out-of-state vehicle.The public program is one element of a targeted archaeological survey to uncover what remains of 19th-century life at several sites within the park. Archaeologists will use ground-penetrating radar and other methods to survey footpaths, privies, outbuildings and hidden home foundations.The Versailles area is historically significant because it was among the first planned towns in early Indiana. The park’s historic home sites are well preserved and offer a trove of information on daily life in early Indiana.This project has been funded in part by a grant from the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service’s Historic Preservation Fund, administered by the DHPA.
NATIONAL cycling coach Hassan Mohamed, in collaboration with the Carlton Wheelers Cycle Club, will stage the 12th annual Laparkan Holdings Limited-sponsored 11-race cycle programme on Saturday around the inner circuit of the National Park beginning at 09:00hrs.The feature event is a 35-lap race which is open to schoolboys, novices and invitational riders.This year will see a new champion being crowned as last year’s champion Alanzo Greaves, who returned a time of one hour 19 minutes 21.47 seconds, was served a ban from participating in the sport which was instituted by the World Anti-Doping Association after a test proved that Greaves had used a ban substance during the National Sports Commission-sponsored five-stage road race last year.However, the majority of the country’s top riders are expected to take to the starting line, creating an avenue for a very competitive day of racing at the nation’s premier cycling circuit.Other winners from 2015 were Christopher Griffith (10-lap Junior/Juvenile), Shameer Baksh (5-lap Veterans U-50), Sean Budhan (5-lap Mountain Bike) and Ronella Samuels (3-lap Boys and Girls).
March 12, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditLONDON (AP) — Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has tested positive for COVID-19, club says. Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has tested positive for COVID-19, club says Associated Press
The Italian Winter Sports Federation (FISI) would like to postpone next year’s Alpine skiing world championships in Cortina d’Ampezzo until March 2022.Italian Olympic Committee president Giovanni Malagò revealed the plans during an interview with RAI state TV on Sunday night.Malagò says “this is the best solution” in order to avoid the championships being canceled or shortened after the fallout in Italy from the coronavirus pandemic.Malagò says FISI would officially send the request to the International Ski Federation’s (FIS) board on Monday.Cortina was already forced to cancel the World Cup finals in March this year due to the advancing virus. The Latest: West Indies planning for 3-test tour of England Johnny Grave says he has been in discussions with the England and Wales Cricket Board for the past six weeks and that Cricket West Indies is expecting a formal offer to go ahead with the tour in the coming days.Grave says in an interview with espncricinfo.com the players would take privately sourced tests for COVID-19 three or four days before the departure date. They would then convene at a base in Antigua and fly out in one aircraft on the same day, before being transported to their quarantine and training venue where they would spend about three weeks.He adds that the current plan is for the test matches to start July 8, July 16 and July 24. The tour was due to start on June 4 but no professional cricket can be played in England before July 1 because of the coronavirus outbreak.Grave says there is still some apprehension among players and support staff about leaving their families for seven weeks, travelling to Britain and playing in bio-secure venues, but that no player has said formally he does not want to tour.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The chief executive of West Indies’ cricket team says a plan is in place to fly a 25-man squad to England around June 8 ahead of a three-test series starting a month later in bio-secure stadiums with no spectators. Moving the worlds to March 2022 would put the event one month after the 2022 Beijing Olympics and likely force FIS to cancel that season’s finals in Méribel and Courchevel, France.The Cortina worlds are currently scheduled for Feb. 7-21, 2021.Worlds are usually held every other winter, in odd years.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 May 25, 2020 Associated Press
The Environmental Core hosted the “Do Better” rally at Tommy Trojan Friday asking the University to increase its efforts regarding sustainability.The Environmental Core hosted a rally Friday calling for increased sustainability on campus. Students chanted phrases like “Hey Nikias, buy a Prius,” and waved signs with similar messages. Autria Mashian | Daily TrojanECore, one of USC’s student clubs focused on environmental advocacy, called for President C. L. Max Nikias to sign a commitment to sustainability on campus. Dozens of students rallied for two hours, chanting phrases like “Hey Nikias, buy a Prius” and “High tuition, no green ambitions, all we have is hella emissions.” The ralliers marched around campus and walked onto USC Village, where they spotted Nikias and followed him.Nikias left USC Village and the ralliers were asked to leave by USC Department of Public Safety.The club also set up a table at Tommy Trojan, where they asked passersby to sign a petition urging Nikias to sign the Second Nature Presidents’ Climate Commitment, which promotes sustainable living on campus. The club sent Nikias a letter asking him to sign it. Nearly 600 universities have signed the commitment and reported on their sustainability, including New York University, California State schools and the University of California system.ECore director Tianna Shaw-Wakeman said Nikias signing would hold the University accountable. “[The commitment] has increments for different years so if he signs it, it’s not something that doesn’t have any teeth,” Shaw-Wakeman said. “This is something that’s long term and it’s also something that students can stay a part of.” However, Mark Ewalt, the executive director of administrative operations for USC, said some of the points in the letter sent to Nikias are already included in sustainability plans and said that the University has made an effort to increase sustainability with the Sustainability 2020 plan and Sustainability 2030 proposal. The Sustainability 2020 plan aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20 percent from the levels in 2014, as well as decrease potable water use by 10 percent in 2020. The last update for the plan came last April and showed funding approved for several projects. The Sustainability 2030 proposal was prepared by the Academic Senate Sustainability Committee Task Force and calls for a “zero-waste” campus and reducing water usage by 50 percent, among other goals. Undergraduate Student Government Sustainability Advocacy Director Philine Qian said the rally was a strategic shift for the club. After winning a few smaller victories, such as the removal of plastic straws from dining halls earlier this month, Qian said students can only do so much in terms of sustainability. “It’s more effective for us to rally together for a bigger long-term goal,” Qian said. “Students shouldn’t have the responsibility and the pressure and the stress of coming up with creative ways for the University to reduce their carbon, water and waste footprint.”
COMMENT Devika Pawar First Published: 8th October, 2019 13:35 IST Ajith Kumar completes more than 100 touch points overall and in PKL 2019. Ajith Kumar scores his fifth Super 10 for PKL 2019. Ran Singh completed 100 raid points overall. Written By Last Updated: 8th October, 2019 13:35 IST PKL 2019: Tamil Thalaivas End Winless Streak By Beating Pink Panthers Tamil Thalaivas ended their fourteen-match winless streak by defeating Jaipur Pink Panthers 35-33 on Monday, October 7. Here are the match highlights. Jaipur Pink Panthers tried to close the gap in the second half. However, Ajith Kumar continued to raid successfully. After Rahul Chaudhari and Ajith Kumar’s successful raids, Tamil Thalaivas had a 32-28 lead with two minutes left for the game to end. With seconds left to go, Guman Singh delivered a super raid for Jaipur Pink Panthers, reducing the score difference to two points. The game was down to a one-point lead by Tamil Thalaivas, but a self-out by Nilesh Salunke in Jaipur’s last raid gave the win to Tamil Thalaivas, ending their fourteen-match winless streak.Also read | PKL 2019: Resilient Jaipur Pink Panthers Beat Bengaluru Bulls Tamil Thalaivas beat Jaipur Pink Panthers 35-33 on Monday, October 7 in PKL 2019’s 127th match. The match was held at Shaheed Vijay Singh Pathik Sports Complex, Greater Noida. It was their first win after defeating Gujarat Fortunegiants on August 10. Both Tamil Thalaivas and Jaipur Pink Panthers did not qualify for the PKL 2019 playoffs. LIVE TV PKL 2019: Tamil Thalaivas vs Jaipur Pink Panthers milestones FOLLOW US SUBSCRIBE TO US Also read | PKL 2019: Gujarat End Pro Kabaddi Campaign With A Big Win Over TitansPKL 2019: Tamil Thalaivas vs Jaipur Pink Panthers match reportThe first half was equally matched with back-to-back raids from both Jaipur Pink Panthers and Tamil Thalaivas. Jaipur took a momentary lead, but Himanshu’s two-point raid and a Super Tackle from Sagar helped Thalaivas dissolve the score difference. Ajith Kumar impressed the audience with his raiding. Tamil Thalaivas gained 19-14 lead over Pink Panthers as the first half came to an end. Also read | PKL 2019: Tamil Thalaivas Vs U Mumba Match Result, Highlights WATCH US LIVE Also read | PKL 2019: Pardeep Narwal Scores 302 Raid Points, Overtakes Sehrawat