GPHC doctor pronounces premature twins dead

first_img…relative finds living baby on way to morgue …hospital asks family to return documents declaring babies deathsBy Rupa SeenarineAn Enmore, East Coast Demerara (ECD) family was sent into a state of shock on Thursday, when their twins, delivered at the Georgetown Public Hospital, were listed as stillborn by medical professionals who failed to recognise that the child was alive.Guyana Times was told that the twins were born to Bhanwattie Budram of Hope West, Enmore, on Thursday at about 11:00h and one of the babies had died. However, both children were wrapped to be taken to the mortuary when the shuddering discovery was made by their grandmother that one of them was alive.The grandmother, Chandrouti Etwaroo, told Guyana Times on Saturday that she waited for almost four hours afteOne of the twins who was listed as stillborn despite being aliver the delivery to enter the room and found out that one of the girls was breathing. According to the woman, her daughter was six months, two weeks pregnant at the time of the delivery.“She give birth to two babies on Friday at around 11:00h and then the nurse came out and told me that she was okay but the babies is not okay. I waiting to see her till 03:00h and then they tell me that the babies dead. I went in to see them and when I open the bag and touch them, the baby start moving and I tell the nurse,” said Sahadeo.She claimed that the nurses walked away when she informed them that one of the babies was alive. Etwaroo said she pleaded with the nurses to equip the infant with an oxygen supply and place her in an incubator. She said that the child was left there until the nurses changed shift. It was the nurses from the other shift that took heed to the woman’s pleas and placed the baby in an incubator.“When she spring up and start to breathe, I tell the nurse right away to give her some oxygen and get her to an incubator but she just come and look at the baby and then walk out,” the aggrieved woman related.Budram and the child remained at the hospital and on Saturday morning at about 04:00h, relatives received a call, informing that the second child had died.“We left the hospital at 12:15h and the baby was alive and everything was good. This morning (Saturday) they call us and said that the baby die.”This publication was told by the family that documents provided by the hospital on Thursday stated that both babies were stillborn.The medical facility then provided subsequent documents for the second death on Friday, while requesting that the first set of documents be returned to the hospital.They are contending that the medical staffers showed negligence with the delivery of the children and failed to perform their duties. Adding to that, if the child was placed in an incubator soon after birth, she might have survived.Calls by this publication to the hospital for some clarity on the matter went unanswered.This incident comes on the heels of GPHC being under scrutiny after three children died at the facility while undergoing chemotherapy treatment earlier this year.The first child who died was 7-year-old Curwayne Edwards on January 14, followed by three-year-old Roshini Seegobin of Enmore, ECD, on January 18.The third child, six-year-old Sharezer Mendonca of Queenstown, Essequibo Coast, died on January 24. Mendonca’s family was sent into further despair after her body was given to the wrong family for burial in what was alleged to have been an attempt to cover up her true cause of death.After investigations were completed, GPHC stated that instead of intrathecal administration of the drug vincristine, doctors administered it intravenously. It was this that led to the adverse reactions of those three children and ultimately their deaths.Meanwhile, CEO of the GPHC, Brigadier George Lewis has noted that the medical staff involved in these incidents were sent on administrative leave on January 29.last_img read more

Tiger hasn’t yet decided on Nissan

first_img“The streak is an unbelievable accomplishment,” Gore said. “This is his hometown tournament. There’s no reason he shouldn’t play. There’s no reason he shouldn’t win. It would be great to see him, but he’s a big boy. He’ll make his own decision.” Woods finished third at the Dubai Desert Classic, then headed home to Florida to work on his putting. Woods made a reference to the need to fix his putting game before he would compete again. “I can’t imagine he wouldn’t play,” said Paul Goydos, who won the Sony Open this year. “It’s his hometown event. … I think that’s going to drive him to play. He’s not the type of guy that says, `I’m not showing up there.’ He’s one of the guys that will say, `This is my place. I want to play there, and I want to win there.”‘ 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “We have to see if he skips L.A.,” golfer Luke Donald said. “If he skips L.A., it might be more important than he is letting on. He’s never won there. Seven PGA Tour events in a row, that’s very impressive. Not much more I can say about that. “I would love to have a record like that this year. Maybe next year. Any year, really.” The Nissan won’t be hurting for some of the game’s best players even if Woods is a no-show. Six of the top nine players in the world have committed. Adam Scott, who won in 2005, will play, as will Retief Goosen, who recently won the Qatar Masters. Ernie Els, another former champion, will be there, along with Jim Furyk, Donald and Padraig Harrington. Rory Sabbatini will defend his title and John Daly will play on a sponsor’s exemption. But the guy who sells tickets and has made purses skyrocket worldwide is still undecided. Tiger Woods has two more days until he has to make a decision about the Nissan Open. Woods has yet to announce whether he’ll play at next week’s tournament at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades. Woods has played there nine times as a professional and two as an amateur – and never won. center_img He’s not playing at this week’s AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am and hasn’t played here since 2002. Woods has missed the Nissan Open just onetime – in 2002 – since turning pro in 1996. His absence would likely raise some eyebrows because of “the streak.” Woods has won seven consecutive PGA Tour stroke-play events and could make it eight wherever he plays next. He has said publicly that the streak isn’t all that significant because he lost the World Match Play Championship and has lost other non-PGA stroke-play events, but time will tell. last_img