NFL owners approve expanded use of instant replay to review pass interference calls

first_imgMark Maske | The Washington PostPHOENIX – NFL owners took a major and somewhat unexpected step Tuesday to expand instant replay as an officiating tool and address the gaffe that denied the New Orleans Saints a spot in this past season’s Super Bowl.Owners voted, 31-1, to make pass interference reviewable by replay. Interference calls and noncalls by officials can be reviewed after a coach’s challenge in the first 28 minutes of each half and by booth review in the final two minutes of each …last_img read more

Let’s work together: Jonathan to SA

first_img8 May 2013 Nigeria and South Africa have a key role to play in bringing to realisation an African renaissance, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan said in Cape Town on Tuesday. Addressing South Africa’s Parliament, Jonathan detailed how the Nigerian people had stood by South Africa and supported the struggle against apartheid. He said the two countries were in a unique position to lead all of Africa to a continent free of inequality, poverty, disease and conflicts. “South Africa and Nigeria, with our robust economies and large markets, are well placed to accelerate the emergence of this renaissance [in] Africa,” he said, adding that Nigeria’s growth rate was expected to reach 7.2% this year, making it one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Jonathan is on a two-day state visit to South Africa – his first official visit to the country – after which he will be attending the World Economic Forum on Africa meeting starting in Cape Town on Wednesday. Jonathan said he saw an Africa on the rise, a continent that was resilient and confident about its capacity to handle its challenges. “All we need is to mobilise the required political will and to be relentless in our quest to achieve our collective dream,” he said. In doing so, he called on African parliaments to insist on the respect for the rule of law and to hold governments to account. He lauded the relationship that South Africa’s three arms – the executive, legislative and judiciary – played, adding that the country was an example worthy of emulation by other countries, where the separation of powers remained a challenge. He said that since the release of former president Nelson Mandela from prison 23 years ago, South Africa had made steady progress. He said Nigeria had stood by South Africa during its struggle against apartheid, pointing to the setting up of the Southern African Relief Fund, which drew funds from deductions made on the salaries of every Nigerian worker. He said that while Nigeria provided scholarships for students from South Africa, Nigerian musicians recorded albums in support of the anti-apartheid struggle and Nigerian poets wrote literature denouncing apartheid. “Your struggle was our struggle, your pain was our pain, and today, your freedom is our freedom,” he said. Earlier on Tuesday, Jonathan held talks in Cape Town with South African President Jacob Zuma, after which Nigeria and South Africa signed a raft of cooperation agreements. The two presidents then participated in a South Africa-Nigeria Business Forum. Jonathan is being accompanied on his visit by a high-level delegation of cabinet ministers, governors of state and business leaders. Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

Minister Michael Masutha on the matter of International Criminal Court and Sudanese President Omar Al Bashir

first_imgPresident Jacob Zuma and President Omar Al-Bashir of Sudan discuss strengthening relations between South Africa and Sudan, 2 September 2015. (Photo: GCIS)We have called this press conference to announce the decision taken by Cabinet on Wednesday, 19 October 2016 in relation to the country’s membership to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court and the pending appeal regarding Sudanese President Al Bashir.The Republic of South Africa is a founder member of the African Union and plays an important role in resolving conflicts on the African continent and in encouraging the peaceful resolution of conflicts wherever they occur anywhere else in the world.In exercising its international relations with foreign countries, particularly with countries in which serious conflicts occur or have occurred, South Africa is hindered by the Implementation of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court Act, 2 (Act No 27 of 2002). This Act and the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court compel South Africa to arrest persons who may enjoy diplomatic immunity under customary international law but who are wanted by the International Criminal Court for genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes and to surrender such persons to the International Criminal Court. South Africa has to do so, even under circumstances where we are actively involved in promoting peace, stability and dialogue in those countries.We wish to give effect to the rule of customary international law which recognises the diplomatic immunity of heads of state and others in order to effectively promote dialogue and the peaceful resolution of conflicts wherever they may occur, particularly on the African continent. South Africa enacted the Diplomatic Immunities and Privileges Act,  (Act No. 37 of 2001), which provides for the immunities and privileges of diplomatic missions and consular posts and their members, of heads of states, special envoys and certain representatives of the United Nations and its specialised agencies, other international organisations and certain other persons.However, the Implementation of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court Act, 2002, is in conflict and inconsistent with the provisions of the Diplomatic Immunities and Privileges Act, 2001. In order to ensure South Africa’s continued ability to conduct active diplomatic relations, a bill proposing the repeal of the Implementation of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court Act, 2002 will soon be tabled in parliament. We have already in writing informed the Speaker of the National Assembly and the Chairperson of the NCOP of this Executive decision.In the matter of the Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development v The Southern African Litigation Centre (867/15) [2016] ZASCA 17 (15 March 2016), the Supreme Court of Appeal confirmed that in terms of customary international law, heads of state enjoy immunity against arrest. However, the Supreme Court of Appeal found that in enacting the Implementation of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court Act, 2002, South Africa had expressly waived the immunity of such heads of state and that South Africa was obliged to arrest persons wanted for crimes committed against humanity.In essence, the Supreme Court of Appeal identified the problem which needs to be addressed. The effect of withdrawal from the Rome Statute as well as the repeal of the Implementation Act thus completes the removal of all legal impediments inhibiting South Africa’s ability to honour its obligations relating to the granting of diplomatic immunity under international law as provided for under our domestic legislation. This therefore removes the necessity at least in so far as this aspect is concerned of continuing with the appeal.Written notice to withdraw from the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court has been submitted to the Secretary-General of the United Nations in accordance with Article 127(1) of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court. The withdrawal will take effect one year after the Secretary-General has received the notification. South African will remain obligated under the Rome Statute for the duration of the 12 months’ notice period.An application for leave to appeal the decision of the Supreme Court of Appeal set down for hearing at the Constitutional Court on 22 November 2016, will now be withdrawn. This is so, especially as the Supreme Court of Appeal has removed the uncertainty around customary international law in relation to diplomatic immunity in so far as it affects heads of states and others who may be wanted for serious violations of human rights and other serious crimes but who enjoy diplomatic immunity under international customary law.South Africa remains committed to the fight against impunity and to hold those who have committed crimes against humanity and other serious crimes accountable. Our unwavering commitment to the promotion and protection of human rights throughout Africa and elsewhere in the world is further demonstrated by our continued participation in various international and continental human rights instruments.For this reason, South Africa will work closely with the African Union and with other countries in Africa to strengthen continental bodies, such as the African Court on Human and People’s Rights, created to deal with such crimes and to prosecute the perpetrators, whilst at the same time continuing to participate and honour its commitments under international human rights instruments. South Africa will continue to actively promote dialogue and the peaceful resolution of conflicts on the African continent and elsewhere.Enquiries:Mthunzi MhagaSpokesperson for the Ministry of Justice and Correctional servicesCell: 083 641 8141E-mail: [email protected] by:Department of Justice and Constitutional Developmentlast_img read more

New York Utility Finds Big Payoff in New Ideas

first_imgNew York electric utility Con Edison is using a mix of efficiency programs, neighborhood solar, and other non-traditional approaches to relieve looming power shortages in parts of New York City and to avoid spending $1.2 billion on a new substation. According to an article posted at Inside Climate News, ConEd realized two years ago that parts of two New York City boroughs, Brooklyn and Queens, would be demanding more electricity than the current grid could provide within a few years. The problem would be particularly acute on hot summer days, when air conditioning in the city is running at full tilt.Typically, the answer would be to build a new substation, but the $1.2 billion price tag helped convince ConEd to look for a different solution. ConEd asked for suggestions and to date has received more than 80, which have been bundled into the Brooklyn/Queens Demand Management program, or BQDM. It employs a mix of efficiency and conservation measures as well as distributed power sources such as fuel cells and small-scale solar to meet 52 megawatts of an expected shortfall of 69 megawatts of electricity in 2018, the website reported. The rest of the power, 17 MW, would come from traditional utility infrastructure projects.The cost? About $200 million, less than 20% of what ConEd would have spent on a new substation.“This could be a harbinger of similar types of pilots that could happen elsewhere,” Omar Siddiqui, a senior technical executive at the utility funded nonprofit Electric Power Research Institute, told Inside Climate News. “Other utilities are certainly paying attention to what’s happening here.”New York energy chief Richard Kauffman said that ConEd’s plan is something that could be replicated all over the country. “It’s not only an evolution of processes, thinking, and culture,” he said, “it’s also a gradual change in business models, evolving away from ‘programs’ to these activities being integral to the business itself.”Some details are still being worked out, such as how new sources of electricity and conservation can be integrated with its existing grid, and how commercial and residential consumers can buy or sell electricity, the website said.The ConEd service area covered by the plan includes about 310,000 customers, including 29,000 public housing apartments. Renters are the norm, the report said, and they are one of the “hardest markets to crack with incentives for energy efficiency.”last_img read more

PH chess team eyes 7 golds or more in 2017 ASEAN Para Games

first_imgPH chess player Menandro Redor. Photo by Randolph B. LeongsonHoping to pick up where they left off, the Philippines chess para athletes are loooling to surpass their six-gold medal haul in 2015 and aiming for seven this time in Kuala Lumpur.But Menandro Redor, one of the country’s leading para athlete in chess, thinks that with the chess team’s stringent preparation it could even exceed its target in the 2017 ASEAN Para Games this month.ADVERTISEMENT Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo PH targets 27 golds in 2017 ASEAN Para Games “We may get more than just seven golds because we had intense training for this. We joined different local and international tournaments just to prepare,” said Redor in Filipino. “Our coaches have been taking care of us and we’re so prepared that we’re sure of what we can accomplish.”Redor, who will also serve as the Philippines’ flagbearer for the opening ceremonies, ha four-gold haul for the visually impaired 2 division, which is for partially blind participants, in the last staging of the biennial games in Singapore.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingThe PH chess team will also lean on wheelchair-bound FIDE Master Sander Severino and Henry Lopez as they gun to sweep the individual and team events of standard and rapid.“We’ve already swept our category, so our goal now is to do that in the other categories. It also helps that we’ve got a women’s team now so it’s really possible that we can get the top spot this time,” Redor said. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side View comments LATEST STORIES The 32-year-old woodpusher isn’t discounting the capacity of the opposition with Indonesia posing the biggest threat to the Philippines’ quest for gold.But Redor is confident with what the chess team can deliver for the delegation, saying, “In chess, we’re sure that we’ll bring home golds.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’last_img read more

Improved Pass Rates for 18 of 34 Subjects in CSEC

first_img Improved pass rates were recorded for 18 of the 34 subjects sat in the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) Examination this year. Story Highlights There were 195,498 subject entries of which 188,307 were sat. Of the subjects that were sat, 69.1 per cent were awarded grades 1 to 3.center_img Improved pass rates were recorded for 18 of the 34 subjects sat in the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) Examination this year.Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, revealed the results of the exam during a press conference at his National Heroes Circle offices in Kingston, on August 18.He noted that overall, the highest increase was in Economics, which recorded an improvement of 12.6 per cent.“There were also increases in the average pass rates for Additional Mathematics (3 per cent); Agricultural Science Double and Single Awards (2.5 and 4.4 per cent); Principles of Accounts (8 per cent); Information Technology (7.3 per cent); Technical Drawing (7.2 per cent) and Theatre Arts (9.3 per cent),” he said.However, there were declines in English B of 13.2 per cent, and Biology, 12 percent, compared with the previous year.The Minister further informed that five subjects had average pass rates of over 90 per cent. These are: Agricultural Science Double Award (96.8 per cent); Agricultural Science Single Award (91.3 per cent); Principles of Business (91.4 per cent); Physical Education and Sport (96.2 per cent); and Food (92 per cent).Turning to Mathematics and English Language, specifically, Mr. Reid noted that these subjects recorded passes of 50.2 and 70.8 per cent, respectively.“When the average attainment rates for Mathematics and English Language were compared with 2016 results, there is a satisfactory movement of 2.5 per cent increase in Mathematics and a little marginal decline in English Language of 0.4 per cent,” he said.A total of 33,799 students sat the exam of the 35,619 that were registered. Sixty seven per cent (22,556) obtained passes at grades 1 to 3. Some 307 more students were registered when compared to 2016.There were 195,498 subject entries of which 188,307 were sat. Of the subjects that were sat, 69.1 per cent were awarded grades 1 to 3.This was a 1.1 per cent increase compared to the previous year.last_img read more