Australia Backs Down from Dumping Sand at Great Barrier Reef

first_imgWorld Maritime News Staff, September 03, 2014; Image: MUA zoom Plans to dump 3 million cubic meters of dredged sand into the Great Barrier Reef area will not go ahead, according to the Australian Financial Review.The sand would be dredged within the plans to expand the Abbot Point port aimed at transforming the port into the world’s biggest coal hub.The plan is being developed by two Indian firms, Adani Enterprises and GVK  Hancock and North Queensland Bulk Ports.However, environmentalists raised their protest against dumping the sand in the area as it is feared it could damage the reef.The North Queensland Conservation Council has already launched a court case on the matter raising environmental concerns, which if pursued further, could delay the project implementation.According to Australian Financial Review, the companies are expected to come up with alternative dumping points for the project this week.last_img read more

After days of tension Kashmir limps back to normal

first_imgSrinagar: After two days of official clampdown and separatist called protests, life on Sunday started limping back to normal in the Kashmir valley. Authorities had imposed a clampdown in the Valley after the killing of top militant commander Zakir Musa on Thursday. Curfew-like restrictions, closure of all educational institutions, cancellation of scheduled exams and a virtual Internet blackout followed Musa’s killing in Dadsara village of Tral area. Also Read – Pak activated 20 terror camps & 20 launch pads along LoC Musa was not only the most wanted militant commander in Kashmir, but had become an icon of homegrown militancy after the death of Burhan Wani on July 8, 2019. Official measures to maintain law and order were defied at dozens of places by angry youth who pelted stones at the security forces. Separatists called for a protest shutdown and life remained literally paralysed for two days after the Tral area gunfight. Separatists have appealed people to return to their normal daily routine from Sunday and also confirmed that there would be no shutdown. Despite being a public holiday, markets opened after two days in Srinagar city and other towns in the Valley on Sunday. Public transport also started moving as usual both in Srinagar and all other districts of the Valley. To facilitate people move about without any hardship, authorities did not impose restrictions anywhere.last_img read more