MADISON, Wis. — The Latest on Foxconn Technology Group and its Wisconsin project (all times local):10:20 a.m.Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers is planning to meet with the head of Foxconn Technology Group for the first time, after saying the Taiwanese company was looking to make changes to its agreement with the state.Foxconn CEO Terry Gou met with President Donald Trump at the White House on Wednesday. Foxconn has repeatedly said it remains committed to investing $10 billion and employing 13,000 people in Wisconsin.Evers’ spokeswoman confirmed the planned meeting Thursday.But Evers has said he doesn’t think Foxconn will employ that many people because it’s building a smaller display screen manufacturing facility in Wisconsin than originally envisioned.Evers was a critic of the project when he ran for governor last year. The state’s head economic development official who brokered the current contract was also to meet with Gou and Evers on Thursday.___8:50 a.m.Foxconn Technology Group CEO Terry Gou has met with President Donald Trump to discuss the company’s ever-changing Wisconsin project.Foxconn confirmed the meeting on Thursday but offered few details on what was discussed. Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers says Foxconn approached him about changing the state’s contract with the worldwide electronics leader.The current deal makes more than $4 billion in state and local tax credits available to Foxconn if it invests $9 billion and hires 13,000 people. But Foxconn has reduced the size of the display screen factory it plans to build and Evers says he thinks fewer people will be hired.Foxconn says Gou and Trump “discussed the latest updates and the positive progress” of the project, among other things. Gou announced last month he is running to be president of Taiwan.The Associated Press
Responding to recent media reports criticizing UNTAET following the resignation of its chief of staff, Nagalingam Parameswaran, a spokesman for UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan said today that Mr. Annan had “full confidence” in the mission’s leadership.Meanwhile, in a letter to the New Straits Times of Malaysia, Shashi Tharoor, Interim Head of the UN Department of Public Information, rejected “implicit suggestions of racism” contained in the newspaper’s account of the reasons for Mr. Parameswaran’s departure. Mr. Tharoor pointed out that more than one-fifth of UNTAET’s international staff came from Asia and that prior to Mr. Parameswaran’s resignation, Asians held two of the mission’s top four posts.For his part, José Ramos-Horta, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the East Timor Transitional Government, acknowledged Mr. Parameswaran’s hard work in East Timor, but stressed that the description of UNTAET as “a white mission” was unwarranted. In a statement released in Dili, Mr. Ramos-Horta added that many people had devoted “many months, many long hours, to East Timor. Mr. Parameswaran is one, but there many others of many nationalities – Europeans, whites and non-whites – so I do not think it is fair to call this a white-dominated mission.”In other news, a battalion of UN peacekeepers from Jordan today bid farewell to the East Timor enclave of Oecussi, located in Indonesian-controlled West Timor, as UNTAET continued to reduce the number of international troops in the territory.In a change of command ceremony attended by UNTAET chief Sergio Vieira de Mello and a host of government and military officials, the Jordanian peacekeepers formally turned over responsibility for the enclave to a battalion from the Republic of Korea reassigned from the eastern sector of the island, where the bulk of UNTAET’s military downsizing is occurring.The first battalion of the newly formed East Timor Defence Force is expected to become fully operational by the middle of this year and will assume responsibility for security there.The Jordanian contingent is scheduled to have fully withdrawn from Oecussi by the end of the month. Their departure follows that of Philippine and Kenyan troops from other districts late last year. UNTAET’s ongoing downsizing will reduce the current authorized level of 8,000 international troops to around 5,000 by East Timor’s independence on 20 May.