Soldier killed in building collapse laid to rest in Meghalaya

first_imgShillong: The mortal remains of Subedar Henkhomang Gangte, one of the thirteen soldiers killed in a building collapse in Himachal Pradesh, has been laid to rest with full military honours at his native place in Meghalaya’s East Khasi Hills district, a defence spokesperson said. Gangte, a resident of Happy Valley area in the district, was buried at the Assam Regimental Centre cemetery on Wednesday in the presence of the Commandant, Brigadier R K Gaikwad, relatives and local people, he said. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity! His body had arrived in a military aircraft to Guwahati, along with the remains of two other officers, Subedar Major Prodip Chandra Bhuyan and Subedar Bisharsing Basumatary, – both residents of Assam – the spokesperson said. The mortal remains were received by the family members on Tuesday at the Guwahati airport, he added. As many as fourteen people, including 13 Army personnel, lost their lives and 28 others were injured on Monday after a four-storey building collapsed in Himachal Pradesh’s Solan district following heavy rain.last_img read more

Annan urges remaining countries to sign and ratify nuclear testban treaty

The Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) is still not in force, seven years after it was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in a bid to bring to an end half a century of nuclear testing.The CTBT contains an international monitoring system, unannounced on-site inspections and other verification provisions to ensure countries comply with the convention.So far 172 nations have signed the CTBT and 116 have ratified it, but it will not have force until all 44 States which have nuclear power or research reactors have ratified it. Only 12 of those States have not ratified: China, Colombia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Egypt, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, the United States and Viet Nam.In a message to the launch of the joint ministerial statement of the 42 nations, delivered on his behalf by Under-Secretary-General for Disarmament Affairs Nobuyasu Abe, Mr. Annan said the longer the treaty’s entry into force “is delayed, the more likely that nuclear testing will resume.”Were this to happen, it would be a major setback in non-proliferation and nuclear disarmament efforts. In the era in which we live, we cannot afford such a setback.” read more